A photograph of the Angel Island administration building on fire, August 12, 1940.
This photograph shows an aerial view of the damage to the administration building when it burned down on August 12, 1940, due to an electrical fire. The fire proved critics of the station right: the building was hazardous. In November 1940, the immigration station relocated to San Francisco. In 1941, Angel Island was once again designated for military use: the dormitories and hospital were updated, and Angel Island was renamed “Fort Garrison.”