Job Opportunity: Program Assistant
The DPLA has an opening for the position of Program Assistant.
The Digital Public Library of America seeks an energetic Program Assistant to help support activities across the organization. Duties include logistics, communication, and project support. This is an entry-level position that will serve an important role across the institution. At DPLA, we work as a team and all staff have the chance to make significant contributions and provide input into the organization’s efforts. The Program Assistant will report to the Executive Director.
The Program Assistant will:
- Assist the Executive Director with scheduling, travel, communication, and other tasks.
- Support senior staff with logistics and project management.
- Help facilitate communication between DPLA’s staff, community, the general public, and others.
- Handle planning and support for large events such as the annual DPLAfest convention, smaller project and team meetings throughout the year, and other travel.
- Act as the board clerk, scheduling calls, taking minutes, and managing other aspects of DPLA’s board and subcommittees.
- Manage other office-related tasks and organizational elements.
The Program Assistant should:
- Be conscientious and well-organized, and able to juggle multiple tasks.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently.
- Have good project management skills, including the ability to break up large initiatives into discrete, manageable aspects.
- Have a customer service orientation and a high degree of emotional intelligence and empathy.
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Have experience in event planning and management.
- Have knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet, and website editing software, and the ability to pick up new skills quickly.
- Share a passion for DPLA’s mission to bring together the riches of America’s libraries, archives, and museums, and make them freely available to all.
- Have a bachelor’s degree and a familiarity with libraries, archives, and museums.
This position is full-time, based in DPLA’s headquarters in Boston, Massachusetts.
Like its collection of materials from across the United States, DPLA is strongly committed to diversity in all of its forms. We provide a full set of benefits, including health care, life and disability insurance, and a retirement plan. Starting salary is commensurate with experience.
The Digital Public Library of America strives to contain the full breadth of human expression, from the written word, to works of art and culture, to records of America’s heritage, to the efforts and data of science. Since launching in April 2013, it has aggregated more than 14 million items from over 2,000 institutions. DPLA is a registered 501(c)(3) non-profit.
To apply, send a letter of interest detailing your qualifications, a resume, and a list of three references in a single PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line “Program Assistant.” First preference will be given to applications received by November 18, 2016, and the review will continue until the position is filled.