Job Opportunity: Engagement & Use Coordinator
The Digital Public Library of America seeks an Engagement & Use Coordinator to help DPLA reach multiple audiences, and to make better and wider use of its large and growing open collection. This is a full-time position at DPLA’s headquarters in Boston, Massachusetts.
The Engagement & Use Coordinator will work collaboratively with DPLA staff and our growing community across the country on initiatives to bring DPLA content into classrooms (including K-12, college, and lifelong learning settings); into greater public use and sharing in areas such as family history, genealogy, and topical enthusiast groups; and widespread personal uses for research, study, and enjoyment. In addition to day-to-day management of various DPLA media channels, the Engagement & Use Coordinator will work to expand the awareness of, and impact of, new projects such as our curated sets of primary sources.
We are seeking a curious and enthusiastic individual who can help us work effectively to further DPLA’s mission to bring together the riches of America’s libraries, archives, and museums, and make them freely available to all. A belief in this mission, and the drive to accomplish it over time in a collaborative spirit within and beyond the organization, is essential.
The Engagement & Use Coordinator:
- Is responsible for multiple forms of outreach and communication, including online and offline, for DPLA initiatives and DPLA in general.
- Handles our social media accounts (Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, Pinterest), including posts and frequent interactions with the public.
- Coordinates with the staff for the creation and posting of regular announcements, posts, and featured content stories.
- Assists with the distribution of outreach materials and other aspects of DPLA office operations.
- Coordinates curatorial activities of DPLA; helping select and contextualize content for use in exhibits and other DPLA services.
- Experience with libraries, archives, museums, or other cultural heritage institutions.
- Facility with digital media and technology, including social media, CMSes (such as WordPress), and basic HTML.
- Strong social and communication skills, including creative writing and proficient editing abilities, with expertise in crafting compelling blog posts, effective press releases, and other promotional genres.
- Able to work successfully in a team environment and have a strong collaborative spirit.
- At least two years prior experience in a similar position.
- A master’s degree in library and information science, history or public history, or a related field.
- Experience with marketing, including connections with media outlets.
Like its collection, DPLA is strongly committed to diversity in all of its forms. We provide a full set of benefits, including health care, life and disability insurance, and a retirement plan. Starting salary is commensurate with experience.
Please send a letter of interest, a resume/CV, a writing sample, and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Engagement & Use Coordinator” in the subject line. Questions about the position may be directed to Dan Cohen, Executive Director, at email@example.com. We will begin reviewing applications on November 16, 2015, and will continue to accept applications until the position is filled.
The Digital Public Library of America strives to contain the full breadth of human expression, from the written word, to works of art and culture, to records of America’s heritage, to the efforts and data of science. Since launching in April 2013, it has aggregated 11 million items from 1,600 institutions. The DPLA is a registered 501(c)(3) non-profit.