• Creator
  • Illinois Heritage Association
  • Created Date
  • 4-23-00
  • Description
  • The post-on-sill house has a gallery across the front that can be entered from either end. There are two entrances into the house from the gallery. The attic contains Norman truss work with huge oak beams. This house was built around 1784 by Jacques Dubreuil Guibourd, a French merchant. In 1763, the region was assigned to Spain. Ste. Genevieve became the outpost of the Spanish empire and the Guibourd house was the social meeting place for Span... more
    The post-on-sill house has a gallery across the front that can be entered from either end. There are two entrances into the house from the gallery. The attic contains Norman truss work with huge oak beams. This house was built around 1784 by Jacques Dubreuil Guibourd, a French merchant. In 1763, the region was assigned to Spain. Ste. Genevieve became the outpost of the Spanish empire and the Guibourd house was the social meeting place for Spanish officers. The house is apparently haunted by three men who appear from the waist up. Jules Valle reported the first ghosts in 1939. French in Illinois; Settling in the Midwest. 16 History; 17 Geography. less
  • Format
  • IHA00029.jpg