Harrison's Description of England in Shakspere's youth. Being the second and third books of his Description of Britaine and England
- View Full Item
- Created Date
A fourth part (The supplement, # 2) planned by the society, was published 1908 in The Shakespeare library.
The colored (folded) plate is Publication ser. VI, no. 9 (Old London bridge, as Shakspere saw it about 1600 A.D. ... the earliest genuine full view, from a unique drawing in Pepys's collection in Magdalen college, Cambridge, traced & photo-chromo-lithograft ... 1881, by W. Griggs ...)
pt. I. The second book, with extracts from the autograph MS. of Harrison's Chronologie, and from foreign writers on England; also with Norden's map of London, 1593, and notes on it by Henry B. Wheatley.--pt. II. The third book, with a view of the north of Cheapside in 1638 A.D., extracts from Stow, Howes, Busino, and De La Serre on London, 1598-1638; plans of Cambridge, and Canterbury, 1588 A.D.; and a map of Shakspere's routes to London; also with plans of Paris Garden, 1627, and the Bankside, Southwark, and an account of these places and the Globe and other theatres there, by W. Rendle ...--pt. III. The supplement, # 1: Four chapters of Harrison's first book, and extracts from Churchyard, 1593, 1594, and John Norden, 1608; with a chromo-foto-lithograf of the only genuine earliest full view of 'Old London bridge' as Shakspere saw it; a large view of 'The beauty of London', and Edw. VI's procession from the tower to Westminster in 1547; views of West Chepe in 1585, and the preaching at Paul's Cross in 1620; and an appendix by W. Niven, esq., on 'English houses in Shakspere's time', with 4 etchings.
- Harrison, William, 1534-1593
- Contributing Institution
- University of Virginia
- London, Pub. for the New Shakspere society, by N. Trübner & co
- Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616--Contemporary England
London (England)--Pictorial works
England--Description and travel
- Electronic resourceLanguage material
- Public domain. Learn more at http://www.hathitrust.org/access_use
- Chicago citation style
- Harrison, William, 1534-1593. Harrison's Description of England in Shakspere's youth. Being the second and third books of his Description of Britaine and England. 1877-81. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/000151590. (Accessed December 10, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Harrison, William, 1534-1593, (1877-81) Harrison's Description of England in Shakspere's youth. Being the second and third books of his Description of Britaine and England. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/000151590
- MLA citation style
- Harrison, William, 1534-1593. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/000151590>.