Basketball Was Born Here
- View Full Item
- Created Date
This pamphlet, titled “Basketball was born here,” is a twenty-four page pamphlet about the early history of the sport. It was published before 1984, but the exact date is not known. It is thought to be published by Springfield College, as the more recent versions definitely are, but this particular copy may have been a more joint publication with the Basketball Hall of Fame, which was on the campus of Springfield College.. The cover shows James Naismith holding a basketball. The pamphlet is divided into three sections: “Daddy of the Cage Games,” “Evolution of the Rules,” and “The Hall of Fame.” Joseph D. Bates, Jr., wrote the first chapter, which tells the story of the creation of basketball, beginning with a meeting between Dean Luther Gulick and Dr. James Naismith. It includes a picture of Naismith, the first basketball team, and an early diagram. The second section, “Evolution of the Rules,” was written by Lee Williams, the executive director of the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. This section analyzes the changes in the rules from the game’s creation to the present day and also examines its international reach. The final section describes the impetus behind the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame, which was located on the Springfield College Campus until 1985.
- Bates, Josph D
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Springfield College Archives and Special Collections
- Springfield College,Basketball Hall of Fame
- Springfield College
Basketball Hall of Fame
Bates, Joseph D., Jr
Naismith, James, 1861-1939
Gulick, Luther Halsey, 1828-1891
Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame
- Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Bates, Josph D. Basketball Was Born Here. 1959-1985. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/8504. (Accessed July 18, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Bates, Josph D, (1959-1985) Basketball Was Born Here. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/8504
- MLA citation style
- Bates, Josph D. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/8504>.