Celebrating "Operation Crossroads" at Bikini Atoll
- View Full Item
- Created Date
This photograph features United States Navy Admiral William Henry Purnell Blandy, Admiral Blandy's wife, and Rear Admiral George M. Lowry celebrating "Operation Crossroads", a series of tests for the atomic bomb that took place at Bikini Atoll in the Pacific Ocean during 1946. On the back of the photo is written: 3264. Associated Press Photo from Washington. Caution: Use Credit. "Admiral Cuts 'Atomic' Cake. Vice. Adm. W. H. P. Blandy (left), commander of the Bikini Atom Bomb Tests, cuts an angel food cake in the mushroom shape of an atomic explosion at a reception at the Officer's Club of the Army War College, Washington, D.C., Nov. 5. With him are Mrs. Blandy and Rear Adm. F. J. Lowry. The Rev. A. Powell Davies, Washington pastor, called the pictured "utterly loathsome" in his sermon for Nov. 10. (See Photo No. 3262, showing Davies with photo) Associated Press Photo. WXABC RM WX POST IN (WX STAR OUT) (PA OUT)
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Tennessee State Library and Archives
- Associated Press
- Admirals--United States
- While TSLA houses an item, it does not necessarily hold the copyright on the item, nor may it be able to determine if the item is still protected under current copyright law. Users are solely responsible for determining the existence of such instances and for obtaining any other permissions and paying associated fees, that may be necessary for the intended use.
- Chicago citation style
- Celebrating "Operation Crossroads" at Bikini Atoll. 1946-11-05. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll18/id/11. (Accessed October 20, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- (1946-11-05) Celebrating "Operation Crossroads" at Bikini Atoll. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll18/id/11
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll18/id/11>.