"Dr. Naismith Rites Are Held in Kansas", Newspaper Article, 1939, Part 2
- View Full Item
- Created Date
This is a continuation of the newspaper article, tilted "Dr. Naismith Rites Are Held in Kansas" from the Springfield Union. It was written in 1939, shortly after Dr. James Naismith's, passing. Under the first part of this section of the article, "Name Approved", it is stated that many of Dr. Naismith's players and peers thought that the game should be named 'Naismith Ball' instead of basketball. He immediately turned down this proposition saying that "Such a name would kill it instantly". Under the section "Relatives in his Vicinity", the article states several of the relatives in the Springfield, Massachusetts area that Dr. Naismith left behind after his death.
Is part of a scrapbook of Naismith materials, collector unknown, that has been taken out of its binding and the pages separated by archival paper. It is the 20th item in the scrapbook.
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Springfield College Archives and Special Collections
- Springfield Union
Springfield College--Alumni and alumnae
Naismith, James, 1861-1939
- Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- "Dr. Naismith Rites Are Held in Kansas", Newspaper Article, 1939, Part 2. 1939-12-02. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/447. (Accessed July 17, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- (1939-12-02) "Dr. Naismith Rites Are Held in Kansas", Newspaper Article, 1939, Part 2. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/447
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/447>.