• Creator
  • Jersey Stock Club of Newton (Mass,)
  • Created Date
  • 1890-1899
  • Description
  • Summary A collection of portraits of the members of the Jersey Stock Club of Newton taken in the late 1880s. Each photo has the name of the individual handwritten on the matting. - 22 photographs : b 15 x 10 cm - "The Jersey Stock Club of Newton was organized in 1866 for the purpose of encouraging the importing of Jersey cows into Newton and by doing so improve the quality of the milk supply. The club originally was limited to a membership of ... more
    Summary A collection of portraits of the members of the Jersey Stock Club of Newton taken in the late 1880s. Each photo has the name of the individual handwritten on the matting. - 22 photographs : b 15 x 10 cm - "The Jersey Stock Club of Newton was organized in 1866 for the purpose of encouraging the importing of Jersey cows into Newton and by doing so improve the quality of the milk supply. The club originally was limited to a membership of eighty, and its officers consisted of President, Vice President, Corresponding Secretary, Recording Secretary, Treasurer, nine Directors, three of whom constituted the Herd Book Committee. In later years the membership limit was reduced to twenty, and the officers were a President, and a Secretary and Treasurer. The organization went out of existence during the eighties. The club met regularly once each month from October to June at the residence of some member, enjoyed a good dinner and then devoted the balance of the evening to discussing the subject of cows and milk. The group of photographs in the accompaning album include all the members of the club during the last few years of its existence, and is made up of some of Newton's most prominent and influential men. Hon. William Claflin, an ex-Governor of the State of Massachusetts; Hon. Alden Spear, Newton's second Mayor; Hon. J. Wiley Edmands, for many years Treasurer of the Pacific Mills and one of Newton's most generous citizens during the Civil War as well as later; John S. Farlow who gave to Newton the Park located in Ward Seven and named for the donor; Mr. John C. Chaffin, whose entire estate was left to the City of Newton and came into its possession in 1930, etc; etc;" - Addison L. Clarke -. less
  • Format
  • Photographs
  • Rights
  • Management Restrictions apply. Contact the Newton Free Library's Reference Department for details. Contact host institution for more information.