- View Full Item
- Created Date
- This image shows a cartoon entitled Liberty Mourns, which Mike Luckovich, the editorial cartoonist for the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, drew in 2001 as a commentary on the events of September 11, when the World Trade Center in New York City was attacked by members of Al Qaeda. The Statue of Liberty is depicted with a tear falling from her right eye, and the World Trade Center is reflected in her eyes. One of the towers has smoke billowing from it, and a jet airliner in flight is nearing the other.
- Luckovich, Mike, 1960-
- Digital Library of Georgia
- Contributing Institution
- New Georgia Encyclopedia (Project)
- Editorial cartoons--United States
Caricatures and cartoons--United States
Tears in art
Statue of Liberty (New York, N.Y.) in art
September 11 Terrorist Attacks, 2001, in art
September 11 Terrorist Attacks, 2001, in mass media
World Trade Center (New York, N.Y.)
- Downtown, GA
- Reprinted with permission from The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
- Chicago citation style
- Luckovich, Mike, 1960-. Liberty mourns. 2001. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://georgiaencyclopedia.org/file/13185. (Accessed August 14, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Luckovich, Mike, 1960-, (2001) Liberty mourns. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://georgiaencyclopedia.org/file/13185
- MLA citation style
- Luckovich, Mike, 1960-. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://georgiaencyclopedia.org/file/13185>.