Seattle Public Library, Seattle, ca. 1912
- Nowell, Frank H., 1864-1950
The city of Seattle established a public library in 1890 after several earlier attempts by private citizens. The library was housed in various places and finally ended up in the Yesler Mansion, just uphill from its current site. After the mansion burned in 1901, industrialist Andrew Carnegie donated $200,000 for a new building which opened in 1906. The Carnegie Library served the city until 1956.
Scanned from original postcard as a 3000 pixel TIFF image in 24-bit RGB color, resized to 640 pixels in the longest dimension and compressed into JPEG format using Photoshop 6.0 and its JPEG quality measurement 3
- Museum of History & Industry, Seattle