Letter from Alice Rhyne to Governor Frank Clement
- View Full Item
- Created Date
This letter is from Alice Rhyne, a citizen from Clinton opposing integration. The letter is very short with only a brief condemnation of Clement's actions towards integration. However, what is really of interest is a copy of a song written about the integration in Clinton that is included with this letter. Titled the "Clinton Ballad", this song presents a critical view of the actions of the federal government, local Anderson County judiciary, John Kasper, Clement, and the citizens of Clinton during integration of the school. Also included in this letter is an illustration titled "I Aided Integration" and depicts three white men: a National Guardsman, one that is presumably Governor Clement, and an unknown white man. The National Guardsman is holding a small African American boy and standing on top of a white woman's body. The woman is wearing a ribbon labeled "Majority Rule".
- Rhyne, Alice
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Tennessee State Library and Archives
- School integration--United States
Desegregation in education
Clement, Frank G., 1949-
- Clinton (Tenn.)
- While TSLA houses an item, it does not necessarily hold the copyright on the item, nor may it be able to determine if the item is still protected under current copyright law. Users are solely responsible for determining the existence of such instances and for obtaining any other permissions and paying associated fees, that may be necessary for the intended use.
- Chicago citation style
- Rhyne, Alice. Letter from Alice Rhyne to Governor Frank Clement. 1956-11-21. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll18/id/360. (Accessed January 17, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- Rhyne, Alice, (1956-11-21) Letter from Alice Rhyne to Governor Frank Clement. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll18/id/360
- MLA citation style
- Rhyne, Alice. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll18/id/360>.