Lakeside Hall South Side, c. 1961
- View Full Item
- Created Date
A photograph of a student reading at the top of the stairs of the south side of Springfield College dormitory, Lakeside Hall taken shortly after it opened in 1961. The photograph is of the South side or Lakeside of the resident hall. A stairway leads up to the landing hat extends off the south side and around the dormitory on the East Side. On April 30th, 1960 the trustees authorized the construction of a new dormitory for women. The construction was part of a one million dollar package that also included a science building and a dining hall. Lakeside Hall was scheduled for completion on or by September 1st, 1961, but by June almost all of the work was done. The building was dedicated on Saturday October 27th, 1961 and a tea was held after the dedication in Lakeside Lounge in which all of the dormitory’s new residents attended. The new dormitory held 117 girls, 5 counselors, and Mrs. Gouck, who was the house mother in Abbey Hall for several years prior. For the next three years Lakeside Hall was used as an all-women’s dormitory, until 1964, when it housed only men. Today it houses both upper-class women and men, and even some freshmen boys.
- Huntington, Wally E
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Springfield College Archives and Special Collections
- Springfield College
- Lakeside Hall
- Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Huntington, Wally E. Lakeside Hall South Side, c. 1961. 1961. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/2041. (Accessed July 20, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Huntington, Wally E, (1961) Lakeside Hall South Side, c. 1961. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/2041
- MLA citation style
- Huntington, Wally E. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/2041>.