Letter from Masao Okine to Mr. and Mrs. S. Okine, March 30, 1946, [in Japanese]
- View Full Item
- Created Date
A letter from Masao Okine to his parents, Seiichi and Tomeyo Okine. He writes from Japan where he is stationed as a Nisei soldier. In the letter, he writes about his duties in Japan, driving a truck. He also writes about the illness of his brother, Makoto, who is also stationed in Italy as a Nisei soldier. He informs that he has been trying to help his father to receive the military family allowance which Seiichi Okine has not received since they moved out from the camp. The letter is mailed via San Francisco by the U.S. Army Postal Service. The arrival date, Aprils 10, 1946, is recorded.
3 pages, 10 x 6.75 inches, handwritten; 1 envelope
The Okine Collection contains materials collected by Seiichi and Tomeyo Okine who were Issei flower growers in Whittier, California. It includes correspondence, photographs, financial documents, and a photo album. A large portion of the collection consists of family correspondence with Seiichi and Tomeyo Okine, including letters from their Nisei children, Masao and Makoto Okine, both soldiers overseas during World War II, to their Issei parents incarcerated in the Rohwer incarceration camp in McGehee, Arkansas. The correspondence also includes letters from their relatives and friends who are former incarcerees in the camps during the war and have “resettled” in Chicago, Illinois as well as letters from the Okines’ family members in Hiroshima, Japan during the Allied occupation of Japan. In addition, the collection includes a family photo album compiled by Dorothy Ai Aoki, a Nisei daughter to the Okines.
- Okine, Masao: author
- California Digital Library
- Contributing Institution
- California State University, Dominguez Hills, Archives and Special Collections
- World War II--Military service--Military Intelligence Service
Military service--Postwar occupation of Japan
World War II--Military service--442nd Regimental Combat Team
Identity and values--Family
Identity and values--Nisei
- Permission to publish the image must be obtained from the CSUDH Archives as owner of the physical item and copyright. In instances when the copyright ownership is not clear it is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain copyright permission.
- Chicago citation style
- Okine, Masao: author. Letter from Masao Okine to Mr. and Mrs. S. Okine, March 30, 1946, [in Japanese]. 1946-03-30. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16855.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p16855coll4/id/13874. (Accessed December 11, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Okine, Masao: author, (1946-03-30) Letter from Masao Okine to Mr. and Mrs. S. Okine, March 30, 1946, [in Japanese]. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16855.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p16855coll4/id/13874
- MLA citation style
- Okine, Masao: author. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16855.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p16855coll4/id/13874>.