Indian Motercycle Unit (1942)
- View Full Item
- Created Date
This photograph shows seven servicemen, in uniform and marching in formation, who belonged to the Indian Motorcycle Unit during World War II. They may be marching on the campus of Springfield College as they are carrying drums and trumpets and the drum says Springfield College on it. During World War II, the United States army used some Indian motorcycles; however, the Harley-Davidson WLA was their motorcycle of choice. The military also requested companies to design experimental motorcycles suitable for desert fighting. In response, Indian designed the 841. Approximately 1,056 models were built. Indian Motorcycles was based and built in Springfield, Massachusetts.
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Springfield College Archives and Special Collections
- Springfield College
- World War, 1939-1945
Indian Motorcycle Unit
- Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Indian Motercycle Unit (1942). 1942. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/4081. (Accessed July 18, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- (1942) Indian Motercycle Unit (1942). Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/4081
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/4081>.