World War I barracks (1918)
- View Full Item
- Created Date
This photograph shows the barracks from World War I, and was said to be taken on November 6, 1918. A pile of dirt can be seen along a wall of the barracks.
The Student Army Training Corps (SATC) was formed on October 1, 1918. The barracks held the one-hundred and eight students enrolled in the program. At Springfield College, the SATC disbanded on December 21, 1918. In April 1918, the National Army Training Detachments program was established at one hundred and fifty-seven colleges, universities, and trade schools under contract with the War Department, including Springfield College. The program was designed to train draftees in a variety of trades needed for the war effort, and was jointly administered by the military and the university. The proposed Student Army Training Corps, according to Carol Gruber, would serve to develop “as a great military asset the large body of young men in the colleges and... [to prevent] unnecessary and wasteful depletion of the colleges through indiscriminate volunteering, by offering the student a definite and immediate military status." (Mars and Minerva 215).
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Springfield College Archives and Special Collections
- Springfield College
- World War, 1914-1918
International Young Men's Christian Association College
- Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- World War I barracks (1918). 1918-11-06. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/9993. (Accessed August 20, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- (1918-11-06) World War I barracks (1918). Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/9993
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/9993>.