Charlestown, Indiana map 1941
View Full Item
Charlestown, Indiana land use survey plat map dated 1 February 1941 signed by Myron Northem. This map shows the city of Charlestown, Indiana on 1 February 1941. In 1940 the United States government began purchasing land to the Southeast of Charlestown on the east side of Highway 62 for the purpose of building Indiana Ordnance Works to manufacture smokeless powder ordnance for World War II. The increase in population for this rural community created many trailer camps which are labeled on this map. The trailer camps are Locust Grove, Little Heaven, Patterson, Red Arrow, Johnson's Green Acres, Germaine, Model, Burkhead, Bueter, Haddox, Conaway, Dietrich, Sellers, Burns, Miller, Dena Rosa Carter, Midwest, and Green's. Other places labeled on the map include First Methodist Episcopal Church of Indiana, Baltimore and Ohio Southerwestern Railroad depot, Charlestown Cemetery, Residence Hotel, U.S. Mil. Res. (IOW), Charlestown school (formerly the County Court House), water tank, and the theater.
- Chicago citation style
- Charlestown, Indiana map 1941. 1941. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16066.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15078coll17/id/11553. (Accessed June 19, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- (1941) Charlestown, Indiana map 1941. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16066.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15078coll17/id/11553
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16066.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15078coll17/id/11553>.