Original Rules of Volleyball
- View Full Item
- Created Date
A copy of the original rules for the game of volleyball most likely sent to Springfield College from William Morgan, the inventor of volleyball, in 1932. Morgan graduated from Springfield College in 1894 and became a physical director at the YMCA in Auburn, Maine. In 1895 he left Maine and became a physical director at the YMCA in Holyoke, MA. While working as the physical director at the YMCA in Holyoke, Morgan developed the game of volleyball as a less strenuous alternative to basketball for middle-aged business men. Morgan's game combined elements of both basketball and badminton and was first debuted at Springfield College. Morgan left the YMCA in 1897 to begin work with General Electric and Westinghouse but maintained his ties to the college and the game he created. Morgan died in 1942 at the age of 72.
- Morgan, William G
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Springfield College Archives and Special Collections
- Springfield College
Springfield College--Alumni and alumnae
International Young Men's Christian Association Training School (Springfield, Mass.)
Morgan, William G
- Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Morgan, William G. Original Rules of Volleyball. 1932. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/1730. (Accessed July 21, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Morgan, William G, (1932) Original Rules of Volleyball. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/1730
- MLA citation style
- Morgan, William G. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/1730>.