Norvell Gillespie tribute at the Hall of Flowers at the Sonoma County Fair, Santa Rosa, California, 1973
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Display in honor of Norvell Gillespie (1913-1973) garden editor of the San Francisco Chronicle and host of the Green Thumb television show.
Author of numerous publications including, "One Thousand and One Western Garden Questions". . Flower shows have been a major attraction of the Fair since its establishment in 1936. The popularity and size of the displays grew so much that the Farm Machinery Building, a former B-29 bomber airplane hanger that was acquired by the Fair in 1949, was given over to the Hall of Flowers in 1952. In 1958, artist and native Santa Rosan, Will Forni was hired as flower show designer and director. Before 1958 flower shows were coordinated by the Floriculture Committee working under the direction of Clyde Von Grafen. Mr. Forni worked closely with Clyde Von Grafen and later Norvelle Gillespie, well known garden editor for the San Francisco Chronicle and host of the Green Thumb TV show, during his tenure with the Fair. Through the efforts of Forni and his successors, as well as countless volunteers, professional and amateur nurserymen, gardeners, landscape contractors and designers, the Sonoma County Fair has received acclaim for having one of the largest themed flower shows in the country.
Title supplied by cataloger.
Digital copy only.
Sonoma County Tourism Grant (2011-2012)
Grant provided to the Sonoma County Library through the Sonoma County Advertising Program.
Print: Sonoma County Fair and Exposition, Incorporated, 1350 Bennett Valley Road, Santa Rosa, Calif., 95404, http://www.sonomacountyfair.com/
High resolution master image (400 ppi)
Adobe Photoshop CS5.1 Macintosh
- California Digital Library
- Contributing Institution
- Sonoma County Library
- Black-and-white photographs
Sports and Recreation
Sonoma County Fair and Exposition, Incorporated
Sonoma County Fair (Santa Rosa, Calif.)
Bennett Valley Road
- United States
1350 Bennett Valley Road, Santa Rosa, California
38. 432974,-122. 7010645
- Sonoma County Library, 211 E Street, Santa Rosa, CA 95401 (http://www. sonomalibrary. org); Sonoma County Fair & Exposition, Inc., Santa Rosa, CA 95402 (http://www. sonomacountyfair. com/) 1350 Bennett Valley Road
The Sonoma County Library makes no assertions as to ownership of any original copyrights to digitized images and can claim only physical ownership of the image(s) described in this records. However, these images are intended for Personal or Research use only. Any other kind of use, including, but not limited to commercial or scholarly publication in any medium or format, public exhibition, or use online or in a web site, may be subject to additional restrictions including but not limited to the copyrights held by parties other than the Library. USERS ARE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE for determining the existence of such rights and for obtaining any permissions and/or paying associated fees necessary for the proposed use. Preferred credit line is: Courtesy, the Sonoma County Library. Please see additional reproduction and reuse information at https://sonomalibrary.org/locations/sonoma-county-history-and-genealogy-library/order-photo
- Chicago citation style
- Norvell Gillespie tribute at the Hall of Flowers at the Sonoma County Fair, Santa Rosa, California, 1973. 1973. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://heritage.sonomalibrary.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15763coll3/id/784. (Accessed December 14, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- (1973) Norvell Gillespie tribute at the Hall of Flowers at the Sonoma County Fair, Santa Rosa, California, 1973. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://heritage.sonomalibrary.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15763coll3/id/784
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://heritage.sonomalibrary.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15763coll3/id/784>.