Electrical Laboratory, Polytechnic Institute, Worcester, Mass
View Full Item
A postcard of the Atwater Kent Laboratory at Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Worcester, Massachusetts. The Atwater Kent Laboratory was completed in 1907, and at the time of its completion was the first academic building in the United States that was totally devoted to electric engineering. The original building had a large power panel that ran the length of the building that was used in the School's focus on Electrical Railway Engineering. For nearly 40 years the building was known only as the "Great Laboratory" or the "EE" Building. It wasn't until 1949 that the building officially had a name. It was named for one of its most famous non-graduates, Atwater Kent, a member of the class of 1900 who went on to become a pioneer in radio.
Is a part of the Worcester Polytechnic Institute History Collection. University Archives and Special Collections, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, George C. Gordon Library, Worcester, Massachusetts. http://www.wpi.edu/+library
|Worcester Polytechnic Institute, George C. Gordon Library|
|Worcester Polytechnic Institute--Buildings|
Worcester Polytechnic Institute--History
Universities and Colleges--Massachusetts--Worcester
Kent, Atwater, 1873-1949
Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Electrical Engineering Department
Rights status not evaluated. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Electrical Laboratory, Polytechnic Institute, Worcester, Mass. 1909. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://ark.digitalcommonwealth.org/ark:/50959/fb494x177. (Accessed June 24, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- (1909) Electrical Laboratory, Polytechnic Institute, Worcester, Mass. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://ark.digitalcommonwealth.org/ark:/50959/fb494x177
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://ark.digitalcommonwealth.org/ark:/50959/fb494x177>.