• Creator
  • Unknown
  • Created Date
  • ca. 1890
  • Description
  • Seattle grew fast in the 1880s. Denny School was overcrowded from the day it opened in 1884 in what was then Seattle's north end. Two wings were soon added to hold additional classrooms. The west wing was torn down in 1911 when part of Denny Hill was regraded. Classes continued in the rest of the building until 1928, when it was torn down during the final regrading of the hill. The school's bell tower was preserved in Denny Park until 1950.Thi... more
    Seattle grew fast in the 1880s. Denny School was overcrowded from the day it opened in 1884 in what was then Seattle's north end. Two wings were soon added to hold additional classrooms. The west wing was torn down in 1911 when part of Denny Hill was regraded. Classes continued in the rest of the building until 1928, when it was torn down during the final regrading of the hill. The school's bell tower was preserved in Denny Park until 1950.This photo, shows Denny School and its later wings sometime after 1884. The school was named for Seattle pioneer David T. Denny. less
  • Format
  • image
    photograph
    Scanned from original photograph using Epson Expression 10000XL as 4350 pixel TIFF image in 16-bit grayscale, resized to 700 pixels in the longest dimension and compressed into JPEG format using Photoshop CS4, JPEG quality measurement 4
  • Rights
  • Museum of History & Industry, Seattle