World War I Poster - Wilson, Taft, and Roosevelt
- View Full Item
- Created Date
In this World War I poster, the top left corner of the poster has a portrait of President Wilson, behind which is a landscape with a YMCA canteen at the forefront. There are soldiers relaxing in groups around the building, and smoke unfurling from the chimney. Near the top it reads "Wilson, Taft, Roosevelt and other National Leaders." Below is a lengthy appeal for donations, ending with the total amount of money they hope to raise ($35,000,000). In a horizontal banner running along the left edge is a collection of quotes from notable government figures endorsing the fundraising campaign. For a full transcription, see "Text." The United War Work Campaign was started when President Woodrow Wilson suggested the separate American relief organizations "unite their forthcoming appeals for funds." These organizations included the YMCA, YWCA, National Catholic War Council-Knights of Columbus, Jewish Welfare Board, War Camp Community Service, American Library Association, and Salvation Army. With the full support of the United States government, they planned to raise a total of $350, 000,000 for the week of November 11-19, in order to support these organizations through the following Spring. They planned to divide the money pro rata according to the percentage each of their seven budgets represented. At the time, this was the biggest drive for funds ever attempted in the United States. Little is known about the illustrator, but this piece fits into a series of similarly text-heavy posters he designed for the United War Work Campaign's fundraiser.
- Butler, John F
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Springfield College Archives and Special Collections
- Springfield College
- International Young Men's Christian Association
World War, 1914-1918
- Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Butler, John F. World War I Poster - Wilson, Taft, and Roosevelt. 1918. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/2290. (Accessed July 19, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Butler, John F, (1918) World War I Poster - Wilson, Taft, and Roosevelt. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/2290
- MLA citation style
- Butler, John F. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/2290>.