• Creator
  • Miller, Patricia L; Illinois Heritage Association
  • Created Date
  • 08/26/02
  • Description
  • 17 E. University Ave., Champaign. The Inman Hotel was also known as the National Academy of Arts. The architects were Spencer and Temple and the builders were the English Brothers. Proprietor George L. Inman formally opened The Inman on March 11, 1915. Built on the site of a livery barn, it was ideally situated in a bustling downtown Champaign, next door to the Illinois Traction Railway Station and a block from the Illinois Central Depot. The ... more
    17 E. University Ave., Champaign. The Inman Hotel was also known as the National Academy of Arts. The architects were Spencer and Temple and the builders were the English Brothers. Proprietor George L. Inman formally opened The Inman on March 11, 1915. Built on the site of a livery barn, it was ideally situated in a bustling downtown Champaign, next door to the Illinois Traction Railway Station and a block from the Illinois Central Depot. The hotel closed in 1974 after nearly six decades of operation. From 1975 to 1987 it was the home of the National Academy of the Arts. In 1991 it again became The Inman, a residence for senior citizens. Since 1989, the building is on the National Register of Historic Places. Urban Treasure Hunt. 16 History. less
  • Format
  • Image23.jpg