• Creator
  • Siewert, Herman
  • Created Date
  • ca. 1890-1905
  • Description
  • The incline was built by Robert Wingate and Frances Bisson for the Carbon Hill Coal Company ca. 1880. The cable system was used to haul ore in rail cars down from the mine to the Carbon River below. A powerhouse built at the top of the canyon burned coal from the mines to power this operation. Later in 1888 when the Northern Pacific Railroad built a new line to Carbonado that helped with the removal of coal, the incline was used to ferry miner... more
    The incline was built by Robert Wingate and Frances Bisson for the Carbon Hill Coal Company ca. 1880. The cable system was used to haul ore in rail cars down from the mine to the Carbon River below. A powerhouse built at the top of the canyon burned coal from the mines to power this operation. Later in 1888 when the Northern Pacific Railroad built a new line to Carbonado that helped with the removal of coal, the incline was used to ferry miners to and from their shifts at the mine. Caption on mount: Incline, Carbonado, Wash.Printed on verso: H. Siewert, Puyallup, WashPH Coll 818.4. less
  • Format
  • image
    photograph
    Scanned from a photographic print using a Microtek Scanmaker 9600XL at 100 dpi in JPEG format at compression rate 3 and resized to 768x512 ppi. 2003