- View Full Item
- Created Date
In early times, wayward animals were kept confined until the owner came to claim them and pay a fee for their release. At one time, the Lancaster Town Pound was located in front of the Middle Cemetery. In 1842, it was relocated to a spot near the intersection of Back Road and Route 117. At the town meeting on March 3, 1964, an appropriation was made to reconstruct the Lancaster Town Pound. It deteriorated and, in 1993-1994, Gregory Philbin and the Lancaster Boy Scouts again refurbished the construction.
Title from item or accompanying materials.
Date supplied by cataloger.
Published in: Images of America, Lancaster / Heather Maurer Lennon. Charleston, SC ; Chicago IL ; Portsmouth NH ; San Francisco CA. : Arcadia Publishing, 2001
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Lancaster Historical Society
- PhotographsLandscape photographs
- Rights status not evaluated. You may contact host institution for more information. This work is licensed for use under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial No Derivatives License (CC BY-NC-ND).
- Chicago citation style
- Town pound. 1850-2000. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, https://ark.digitalcommonwealth.org/ark:/50959/02871k87g. (Accessed December 17, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- (1850-2000) Town pound. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, https://ark.digitalcommonwealth.org/ark:/50959/02871k87g
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <https://ark.digitalcommonwealth.org/ark:/50959/02871k87g>.