Recollections of housecleaning duties in 1890
- View Full Item
- Created Date
- 1890 - 1899
In this excerpt from the "Autobiography of Mary Etta 'Lillian' Peterson Michael" the reader will learn about annual cleaning week and other household chores in the 1890s. Detailed in the story is the making of woven carpets, wallpaper cleaning and other cleaning tasks.
Housecleaning in 1890 chapter from Autobiography of Mary Etta Lillian Peterson Michael compiled December, 1989, pages 21-22 Through the winter months, my Mother and Grandmother Peterson, who lived with us, used to sew strips of carpet rags together, all colors and materials. They tried to teach me, but I wasn't too interested because you just sewed the ends of the strips together and that's all there was to it. I was required to sew some every da...
- Contributing Institution
- Towanda Area Historical Society/Towanda District Library
- The images in the Towanda Area Historical Society digital library may be viewed, downloaded, and printed for personal or educational use, but any commercial use is prohibited, without permission. Questions may be directed to the historical society at firstname.lastname@example.org or through the Towanda Illinois District Library at (309)728-2176.
- Chicago citation style
- Recollections of housecleaning duties in 1890. 1890 - 1899. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/ref/collection/tdl/id/1097. (Accessed December 14, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- (1890 - 1899) Recollections of housecleaning duties in 1890. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/ref/collection/tdl/id/1097
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/ref/collection/tdl/id/1097>.