Robert Lenzner uncovers the Polaroid scandal in South Africa
- View Full Item
- Created Date
In this clip Robert Lenzner, reporter for the Boston Globe, talks about his involvement in uncovering the story about Polaroid's South African distributor violating the terms of Polaroid's policy not to sell to the South African Government that ultimately led to Polaroid's decision on November 21, 1977 to cut off all business ties with South Africa, making it the first major American firm to withdraw from the country for political reasons. Overall this program focuses on Polaroid's decision on November 21, 1977 to cut off all business ties with South Africa, making it the first major American firm to withdraw from the country for political reasons. Host Stephen Curwood speaks with Boston Globe reporter Robert Lenzner, People Against National Identity Cards representative Caroline Hunter (who lost her job with Polaroid in 1970 for protesting the company's policy in South Africa), and African National Congress member Themba Vilakazi about Polaroid's history in South Africa, Lenzner's news article that spurred the withdrawal, the denial of Polaroid management that they knew their agreement with their distributor in South Africa was in violation; and the impact of the withdrawal on Black South Africans. Additional segments include an excerpt of a press conference with Dr. Edwin Land (Polaroid's founder), the "Say Brother News" with reporters Margaret Tarter, Leah Fletcher, and Karen Holmes, and the "Community Calendar." Produced by Barbara Barrow-Murray. Directed by David Atwood.
- Barrow-Murray, Barbara
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- WGBH Educational Foundation
- Land, Dr. Edwin
United States--Relations--South Africa
Social responsibility of business
- moving image
- Motion pictures
- Rights status not evaluated. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Barrow-Murray, Barbara. Robert Lenzner uncovers the Polaroid scandal in South Africa. 1978-03-03. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_E301478609D741AC8F3D13E9814912B8. (Accessed February 19, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- Barrow-Murray, Barbara, (1978-03-03) Robert Lenzner uncovers the Polaroid scandal in South Africa. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_E301478609D741AC8F3D13E9814912B8
- MLA citation style
- Barrow-Murray, Barbara. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_E301478609D741AC8F3D13E9814912B8>.