• Creator
  • Unknown
  • Created Date
  • ca. 1884
  • Description
  • In 1860, the Sisters of Holy Names opened their Seattle school for girls in a rental home. Four years later, they moved the school to the new Holy Names Academy building near downtown Seattle, on the ridge that once connected First and Beacon Hills. A few days after the 1908 commencement exercises, the building was demolished as part of the Jackson Street regrading project. In the fall of 1906, classes started in the school's new building on C... more
    In 1860, the Sisters of Holy Names opened their Seattle school for girls in a rental home. Four years later, they moved the school to the new Holy Names Academy building near downtown Seattle, on the ridge that once connected First and Beacon Hills. A few days after the 1908 commencement exercises, the building was demolished as part of the Jackson Street regrading project. In the fall of 1906, classes started in the school's new building on Capitol Hill.This mid-1880s photo looks south from Seattle's First Hill to the tree-covered top of Beacon Hill. Holy Names Academy, with its pointed tower, stands on the east side of Seventh Avenue, between Jackson and King Streets. In the foreground is the intersection of Seventh Avenue and Washington Street. less
  • Format
  • image
    photograph
    Scanned from original photograph using Epson Expression 10000XL as 4350 pixel TIFF image in 24-bit RGB color, resized to 700 pixels in the longest dimension and compressed into JPEG format using Photoshop CS4, JPEG quality measurement 4
  • Rights
  • Museum of History & Industry, Seattle