Harvey Smith and the New Haven YMCA
- View Full Item
- Created Date
This lantern slide shows the New Haven YMCA in Connecticut and a portrait of Harvey L. Smith, who graduated in 1893 from the International YMCA Training School, now known as Springfield College. He played quarterback for the school’s second ever football team. After graduation, Smith served in a number of YMCA positions: physical director in Galveston, Texas (1894-1900), boys' secretary in Providence, Rhode Island (1901), physical director in New Haven, Connecticut (1902-1905), and boys’ secretary in Bedford, New York (1906-1909). Smith died on June 5, 1910. On May 8, 1859, a small group of businessmen held their first meeting to discuss organizing a YMCA in New Haven. Although they had no building, the YMCA initiated outreach programs within the year. Now, the New Haven YMCA has become the Central Connecticut Coast YMCA and has grown to twelve branches serving 75,000 people.
- W. H. Drew, Stereopticons
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Springfield College Archives and Special Collections
- Springfield College
- International Young Men's Christian Association Training School (Springfield, Mass.)
Springfield College--Alumni and alumnae
Young Men's Christian Association of North America
Smith, Harvey L
- Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- W. H. Drew, Stereopticons. Harvey Smith and the New Haven YMCA. 1900-1910. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/3787. (Accessed July 19, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- W. H. Drew, Stereopticons, (1900-1910) Harvey Smith and the New Haven YMCA. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/3787
- MLA citation style
- W. H. Drew, Stereopticons. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/3787>.