USO Club, southwest corner, Champaign, Illinois
View Full Image
USO Club, southwest corner, Randolph and Hill Sts., Champaign. During World War II this was a popular USO center for thousands of military personnel stationed at the UI and Chanute Field. It was erected as Champaign High School in 1893, but renamed Central School when a new high school opened on West Green Street in 1914. Its last use was as the local office of the Illinois Bell Telephone Company. After the building was demolished in 1974, the site became a parking lot for Champaign National Bank. The cornerstone remains, incorporated in a bench. Urban Treasure Hunt; World War II 16 History
|Miller, Patricia L, Illinois Heritage Association|
|University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign|
|University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, University Library|
Champaign County, Illinois
For any further information related to this record, please contact the Collection Publisher. See http://images.library.uiuc.edu/projects/tdcfor more information about this project.