• Created Date
  • ca. 1894
  • Description
  • Native people of the Coast Salish linguistic group had used the area now known as Esquimalt for approximately 400 years before the advent of European settlement. Approximately 11 loosely affiliated groups occupied the lands between Sooke and the Saanich Peninsula. The Victoria Treaties, signed in 1843 between the Hudson’s Bay Company and local native leaders indicate that at that time the Esquimalt Peninsula was the territory of the Kosampsom ... more
    Native people of the Coast Salish linguistic group had used the area now known as Esquimalt for approximately 400 years before the advent of European settlement. Approximately 11 loosely affiliated groups occupied the lands between Sooke and the Saanich Peninsula. The Victoria Treaties, signed in 1843 between the Hudson’s Bay Company and local native leaders indicate that at that time the Esquimalt Peninsula was the territory of the Kosampsom group. There has long been a village site near Ashe Head on the eastern shore of Esquimalt Harbour and this is where the Esquimalt Band makes its home today. Another group, the Songhees, has a reserve nearby, established in 1911. Prior to 1911, the Songhees had lived on the west shore of Victoria Harbour. The first European to enter Esquimalt Harbour was the Spanish explorer Don Manuel Quimper, who arrived in 1790 and gave it the name "Puerto de Cordova". Hudson’s Bay Company Chief Factor James Douglas (later Governor of the Crown Colonies of... less
  • Format
  • Photograph
    image
    Scanned from a photographic print using a Microtek Scanmaker 9600XL at 100 dpi in JPEG format at compression rate 3 and resized to 768x600 ppi. 2004