Loading site at camp 14, Polson Logging Company, near Humptulips, n.d
View Full Image
Polson Brothers Logging Company began business in 1895 in Hoquiam. In 1903, the name was changed to Polson Logging Company. Polson was bought out by Rayonier in 1948.Humptulips was once a great logging center and is now an area of small ranches on the Humptulips River seventeen miles north of Aberdeen in west central Grays Harbor County. The name is from the Quinault word Ho-to-la-bixh, meaning "hard to pole." The phrase relates to the Humptulips River, on which Indians used to propel their canoes with poles.