African American man and woman portrait
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Portrait of an African American man and woman in formal dress. This photograph was taken by traveling photographer Albert J. Ewing, ca. 1896-1912. Like most of Ewing's work, it was likely taken in southeastern Ohio or central West Virginia. Born in 1870 in Washington County, Ohio, near Marietta, Ewing most likely began his photography career in the 1890s. The 1910 US Census and a 1912-1913 directory list him as a photographer. A negative signed "Ewing Brothers" and a picture with his younger brother, Frank, indicate that Frank may have joined the business. After 1916, directories list Albert as a salesman. He died in 1934. The Ewing Collection consists of 5,055 glass plate negatives, each individually housed and numbered. Additionally, the collection includes approximately 450 modern contact prints made from the glass plate negatives. Subjects include infants and young children, elderly people, families, school and religious groups, animals and rural scenes. In 1982, the Ohio Historical Society received the collection, still housed in the original dry plate negative boxes purchased by Albert J. Ewing. A selection of the original glass plate negatives were exhibited for the first time in 2013 at the Ohio Historical Center.
- Albert J. Ewing (Photographer)
- Ohio Digital Network
- Contributing Institution
- Ohio History Connection
- Ewing, Albert J. (1870-1934)
Portrait photography--United States--History
African American men
African American women
- PictureGlass Plate Negative
- Standardized Rights Statement
- The organization that has made the Item available believes that the Item is in the Public Domain under the laws of the United States, but a determination was not made as to its copyright status under the copyright laws of other countries. The Item may not be in the Public Domain under the laws of other countries. Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Albert J. Ewing (Photographer). African American man and woman portrait. 1890s. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://www.ohiomemory.org/cdm/ref/collection/p16007coll19/id/90. (Accessed July 10, 2020.)
- APA citation style
- Albert J. Ewing (Photographer), (1890s) African American man and woman portrait. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://www.ohiomemory.org/cdm/ref/collection/p16007coll19/id/90
- MLA citation style
- Albert J. Ewing (Photographer). Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://www.ohiomemory.org/cdm/ref/collection/p16007coll19/id/90>.