Athletic Field, Wright St., University Ave., and Romine St., Urbana, Illinois
View Full Image
Wright Street, University Avenue, Romine Street, Urbana, Illinois. The University of Illinois's first building, dubbed "the Elephant," was located on this field. When it was demolished in 1881, Regent Peabody recommended selling off the land, as "the future holds no need for space north of Springfield Avenue." University trustees soon turned the field over to the newly formed athletic association. It was renamed Illinois Field in 1896. The baseball stadium, built in 1907, was used until 1986. The Beckman Institute was constructed on the site two years later. Urban Treasure Hunt 16 History
|Miller, Patricia L, Illinois Heritage Association|
|University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign|
|University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, University Library|
Champaign County, Illinois
For any further information related to this record, please contact the Collection Publisher. See http://images.library.uiuc.edu/projects/tdcfor more information about this project.