• Creator
  • Miller, Patricia L; Illinois Heritage Association
  • Created Date
  • 8-2-02
  • Description
  • 1109 S. Lincoln Avenue, Urbana. Senator William B. McKinley's contribution of $205,000 in 1924 made it possible to construct the central portion of a much-needed University of Illinois campus hospital. Despite objections by horticulture professor J.C. Blair, a site purchased earlier at Third Street and Armory Avenue was replaced by property that required destruction of part of the University of Illinois forestry. The hospital opened in 1926. P... more
    1109 S. Lincoln Avenue, Urbana. Senator William B. McKinley's contribution of $205,000 in 1924 made it possible to construct the central portion of a much-needed University of Illinois campus hospital. Despite objections by horticulture professor J.C. Blair, a site purchased earlier at Third Street and Armory Avenue was replaced by property that required destruction of part of the University of Illinois forestry. The hospital opened in 1926. PWA funds provided for a south wing in 1938-40. University of Illinois health services moved from Wright Street into an addition on the west. Urban Treasure Hunt. 16 History. less
  • Format
  • Mckinley.jpg