University High School, Urbana, Illinois
View Full Image
School of Education, 1212 with Springfield Avenue, Urbana. University of Illinois Trustees rejected several designs before selecting the plan of University of Illinois supervising architect J.M. White and the Chicago architectural firm of Holabird and Roche. The first of three buildings planned for the college of education was begun in 1916. Opened in 1921 as a laboratory for practice teaching, it later became a center for curriculum research. The rest of the complex was not built, but a "temporary" gymnasium erected on Stoughton Street in 1930 still is used. Urban Treasure Hunt; School Museum 16 History
|Miller, Patricia L, Illinois Heritage Association|
|University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign|
|University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, University Library|
For any further information related to this record, please contact the Collection Publisher. See http://images.library.uiuc.edu/projects/tdcfor more information about this project.