Doctor Ballantine and Springfield College, by Dr. Laurence L. Doggett
- View Full Item
- Created Date
This document is an account of Dr. William Ballantine and the pressures he and the International YMCA Training School, now Springfield College, received regarding school curriculum and teaching practices by Laurence L. Doggett. Ballantine served as president of Oberlin College, where he was Doggett's professor, prior to teaching at Springfield College. Ballantine offered a modern view of the Bible which fell under much scrutiny from supporters of the International YMCA Training School who questioned the curriculum of the institution. Ballantine's teachings even caused some to withdraw their financial support of the institution. Doggett stood by and supported Ballantine's teaching against this pressure and his loyalty to Ballantine is evident in this document. The manuscript details the events leading up to Ballantine's investigation by a committee called the "Sub-Committee on Instruction in the Bible" through the eventual findings of the committee which found the school's curriculum to be of the highest quality.
- Doggett, Laurence L., 1864-1957
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Springfield College Archives and Special Collections
- Springfield College
- International Young Men's Christian Association Training School (Springfield, Mass.)
Doggett, L. L. (Laurence Locke), 1864-1957 Ballantine, William
- Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Doggett, Laurence L., 1864-1957. Doctor Ballantine and Springfield College, by Dr. Laurence L. Doggett. 1937. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/265. (Accessed July 18, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Doggett, Laurence L., 1864-1957, (1937) Doctor Ballantine and Springfield College, by Dr. Laurence L. Doggett. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/265
- MLA citation style
- Doggett, Laurence L., 1864-1957. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/265>.