Olds and Wife at Inauguration (October 31, 1958)
- View Full Item
- Created Date
This photograph shows Glenn Alvero Olds and his wife, Eva Olds, at his inauguration as Springfield College's eighth president. Eva is shaking hands with an unidentified person, possibly a student. The ceremony took place on October 31, 1958 at the Memorial Field House. Rev. Dr. Glenn Alvero Olds (1921-2006) lived a multifaceted life. A colleague in 1978 described his early years as follows: “Born of a Catholic father and Mormon mother, influenced by Quaker upbringing and Methodist ministry, he worked his way through high school, college, and three graduate schools with honors and distinction – as a logger, ranch hand, park and forest ranger, professional boxer, dance band leader, dishwasher, and country preacher.” Olds served as president at Springfield College from July 1, 1958 to September 1, 1965, during which time he focused on curriculum revision, enrollment, long-range planning, organization, construction, and fundraising. At thirty-seven years old, he was the school’s second-youngest president. Olds left Springfield College in 1965 to accept a position as executive dean of the State University of New York, where he developed an international program for New York State’s system of colleges and universities. He later served as a special assistant for President Nixon, U.S. ambassador and representative to the United Nations Economic and Social Council, and president at Kent State University and Alaska Pacific University.
- Grimaldi, Matthew F
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Springfield College Archives and Special Collections
- Springfield College
- Springfield College
Memorial Field House
Olds, Glenn A. (Glenn Alvero), 1921-2006
- Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Grimaldi, Matthew F. Olds and Wife at Inauguration (October 31, 1958). 1958-10-31. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/4732. (Accessed July 16, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Grimaldi, Matthew F, (1958-10-31) Olds and Wife at Inauguration (October 31, 1958). Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/4732
- MLA citation style
- Grimaldi, Matthew F. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/4732>.