Experimental investigation of orthotropic panel flutter at arbitrary yaw angles, and comparison with theory /
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Includes bibliographical references (p. 14).
Flutter characteristics for yaw angles between 15 deg and 90 deg were determined experimentally for two types of corrugation-stiffened panels: those with weak twisting stiffness and those with strong twisting stiffness. By mounting the panels on a remotely controlled turntable, good definition of the flutter boundaries was obtained by rotating the panels into and out of flutter. Flutter tests were conducted at M = 2 and M = 1.6. Before testing, vibration tests and analyses were also performed. The experimental flutter data is compared with flutter theory for orthotropic panels utilizing quasi-steady aerodynamics. Five different corrugated panels were tested consisting of one single skin panel having a length-to-width ratio of 5 on clamped supports and four different square double skin panels on discrete flexible supports. The investigation indicated that flutter speed for corrugated panels is highly dependent on yaw angle. Reasonable flutter correlation between analysis and test was obtained for moderate yaw angles, but extreme sensitivity to structural parameters made the correlation at large yaw angles uncertain.
Prepared by Grumman Aerospace Corporation, Bethpage, NY for Langley Research Center
- Shyprykevich, Peter
- Contributing Institution
- University of Illinois
- Washington, D.C. : National Aeronautics and Space Administration ; Springfield, Va. : For sale by the National Technical Information Service [distributor]
- Hypersonic planes--Materials--Testing
Wind tunnel tests
- Electronic resourceLanguage material
- Public domain. Learn more at http://www.hathitrust.org/access_use
- Chicago citation style
- Shyprykevich, Peter. Experimental investigation of orthotropic panel flutter at arbitrary yaw angles, and comparison with theory /. 1973. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/011431690. (Accessed December 12, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Shyprykevich, Peter, (1973) Experimental investigation of orthotropic panel flutter at arbitrary yaw angles, and comparison with theory /. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/011431690
- MLA citation style
- Shyprykevich, Peter. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/011431690>.