• Created Date
  • 1927
  • Description
  • The"East St. Louis", shown here on one of her excursions, was originally built as the "Virginia" in 1895 at Cincinnati and was later called the "Steel City". She was renamed the "East St. Louis" in December 1916. At that time her owner was the St. Louis & New Orleans Navigation Company. With some alterations allowing for more passengers, she entered the St. Louis to New Orleans trade. In 1917 she was turned into an excursion boat and when the ... more
    The"East St. Louis", shown here on one of her excursions, was originally built as the "Virginia" in 1895 at Cincinnati and was later called the "Steel City". She was renamed the "East St. Louis" in December 1916. At that time her owner was the St. Louis & New Orleans Navigation Company. With some alterations allowing for more passengers, she entered the St. Louis to New Orleans trade. In 1917 she was turned into an excursion boat and when the "Island Queen" and the "Morning Star" were lost in 1922, the "East St. Louis" was acquired by the Coney Island Company and renamed the "Island Belle" to do duty for the Coney Island trade. She was again sold in 1927 to the Greater New Orleans Amusement Company who rebuilt her and named her "Greater New Orleans". She ran excursion for a short time and was then sold to Streckfus Steamers of St. Louis. The company dismantled her, using her boilers on their excursion steamer "Washington". Photograph taken circa 1927. less
  • Format
  • photograph