Original Court Replica inside Basketball Hall of Fame
View Full Image
This slide features the Original Gym Replica in the main exhibit area of the original Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame located on Springfield College's campus. The Original Gym Replica room, was a replica of the gym where basketball was originally played in the original Springfield College building which was at the corner of State St. and Sherman St. in Springfield, Massachusetts. At that time, in 1891, Springfield College was called The International YMCA Training School. Also visible in this slide are the different basketball baskets used as the game progressed. Moving through time the basket began as that closest to the viewer, the peach basket, followed by that to the viewers left, the metal basket and white square backboard, then that the viewers right, the closed net basket and the semi-circular white backboard, and finally to that at the far end that is recognizable to use today, the open net and glass backboard. This main exhibit area that the slide also pictures contains numerous glass display cases and wall hangings of photographs, information, and memorabilia. These cases and the wall space behind them were divided into sections; the N.B.A section, the Officials section, the U.C.L.A corner, the N.C.A.A section, the National Invitation Tournament section, the writers' section, the National Junior College Sections, and the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletes section. The original Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame was constructed on the Springfield College Campus due to the college’s deep connection to the sport of basketball; from Dr. James Naismith, who invented the game while he was a faculty member at the school in 1891; to Dr. Edward Hickox, the driving force behind the Hall’s creation; and the innumerable members of the faculty who have sat on national rules committee. . With the ever-growing popularity of the sport of basketball, inductees into the Hall of Fame, and visitors, the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame began to outgrow its Springfield College home. In 1985 the Hall of Fame opened in a new location in Springfield and the original Hall of Fame building ownership was transferred to Springfield College. Renovations on the building began in 1987 and the building was rededicated as the Allied Health Sciences Center in April of 1989.
|Springfield College Archives and Special Collections|
|Dexter Press Inc|
Basketball Hall of Fame
Allied Health Sciences Building
Original Gym Repilica
Original School Building
Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law. Contact host institution for more information.