Edward Hitchcock classroom lecture notes, "Geology"
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Natural history lecture notes by Edward Hitchcock introducing the subject of geology to his students. Hitchcock discusses some of the difficulties involved in studying geology, such as less distinct differences between types of rocks, changes in rock structure due to heat, air, and water, and the challenge of examining rocks within the earth to confirm facts. He touches on several aspects of geology, especially the concept of strata, explaining the different types. Hitchcock lists several different types of rocks, such as granite, gneiss, slate, quartz, and red sandstone, and summarizes their composition, structures, varieties, and usual geological position. He additionally writes in-depth about different organic remains found within rocks, including different types of shells, plant matter, and animal remains.
The notes are undated. Dates provided are taken from the dates of the series.
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Amherst College Archives & Special Collections
- Amherst (Mass.)
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864--Notebooks, sketchbooks, etc
Geology--Study and teaching (Higher)
Fossils--Study and teaching (Higher)
- Lecture notesManuscripts
- Public Domain: This material has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. While Amherst College Archives & Special Collections claims no rights or authority over this material, we do ask that any publication or use of this material cite the Archives & Special Collections at Amherst College as the source of the images and the repository where the original documents can be found. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864. Edward Hitchcock classroom lecture notes, "Geology". 1826-1855. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://acdc.amherst.edu/view/asc:281239. (Accessed December 19, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864, (1826-1855) Edward Hitchcock classroom lecture notes, "Geology". Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://acdc.amherst.edu/view/asc:281239
- MLA citation style
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://acdc.amherst.edu/view/asc:281239>.