1913 Springfield College Football Team
- View Full Item
- Created Date
A photograph of the 1913 Springfield College football team. The individuals in the photograph are: [back from from left to right] James McCurdy (Head Coach), Arthur Holmes ('14), Arthur Schabinger ('15), Henry Wielt (Manager, '14); [middle row from left to right] George Batchelor ('14), Evan Williams ('15), William Fountain ('15), Robert McLean ('14), Erastus Pennock ('14), and George Cooper ('16); [front row from left to right] Harold DeGroat ('14), John Rothacher ('14), Herman Lorenz ('14), Fred Dickens (Captain, '14), Walter Bell ('15), Otto Friedland ('15), and Elron Myers ('15). The team finished the season with 7 wins and 2 losses with the leadership of Head Coach James McCurdy in his 16th season as head coach. T In 1890, Amos Alonzo Stagg, a Yale all-American and major league baseball pitching prospect, came to Springfield College (then known as the YMCA Training School) and started the college’s first football team. A grad student in a one-year program to become a YMCA Physical Director, he served as Coach, Manager, Captain, and Player on this original team often called “Stagg’s Eleven” or “The Stubby Christians.” The team finished the first season with a record of 5 wins and 3 losses, playing Yale strongly in the first indoor football game ever played in Madison Square Garden. Among other greats to coach the football team was James Huff McCurdy. McCurdy came to Springfield in 1895 and headed the team till 1917. He is largely responsible for helping to grow the Springfield College football team’s reputation and starting a long tradition of being feared by other colleges, in addition to his innovative work in exercise physiology. Later, Oscar “Ossie” Solem, famous Syracuse University coach, coached the team from 1946-1957.
Item has tear along top right side of photograph. Additional similar copy in folder, oversized collection, and online collection.
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Springfield College Archives and Special Collections
- Springfield College
- International Young Men's Christian Association College
McCurdy, J.H. (James Huff), 1866-1940
- Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- 1913 Springfield College Football Team. 1913. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/6609. (Accessed July 20, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- (1913) 1913 Springfield College Football Team. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/6609
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/6609>.