• Creator
  • Richard Nicol
  • Created Date
  • 1907
  • Description
  • The Home of the Good Shepherd, in Seattle's Wallingford neighborhood, was opened by the Sisters of the Good Shepherd in 1907 to provide shelter, education, and guidance to young girls. The girls who boarded there were referred by the courts or placed by their families, from throughout the Pacific Northwest. The Home of the Good Shepherd closed in 1973 and the Good Shepherd Center was one of Historic Seattle's first development projects, in an ... more
    The Home of the Good Shepherd, in Seattle's Wallingford neighborhood, was opened by the Sisters of the Good Shepherd in 1907 to provide shelter, education, and guidance to young girls. The girls who boarded there were referred by the courts or placed by their families, from throughout the Pacific Northwest. The Home of the Good Shepherd closed in 1973 and the Good Shepherd Center was one of Historic Seattle's first development projects, in an arrangment with the city of Seattle, opening in 1975. Historic Seattle operates the Good Shepherd Center as a self-sustaining multi-purpose community center housing the Wallingford Community Senior Center, nonprofit organizations including Seattle Tilth, for profit services, and Meridian School, a K-5 school. Six affordable artist live/work studios were opened in spring of 2002 in an unused attic space. The former chapel on the upper floors of the Center was converted to a performance/assembly space in winter of 2006 and is currently an active... less
  • Format
  • image
    photograph
    artifact
    Scanned from slide as a 3000 pixel TIFF image in 16-bit color, resized to 640 pixels in the longest dimension and compressed into JPEG format using CONTENTdm's image import
  • Rights
  • All rights reserved.