Ping: Correspondence: Letter from Roger Reynolds to Samuel Beckett; page 2
- View Full Item
- Created Date
- December 2, 1968
Film, Audio, Video and Digital Art
Performing Arts (including Performance Art)
In 1967, while living in Tokyo, I read a short story by Samuel Beckett, "Ping", published in the English magazine, Encounter. I was fascinated by this text, and decided immediately that I wanted to make it the basis of an inter-media work. I wrote to Encounter that referred me, in turn, to Beckett's American publisher, Grove Press. The obtaining of rights for the use of Beckett's publications was complicated by a very committed and problematic French Publisher, Les Éditions de Minuit. As it happened, however, Grove Press allowed me to write directly to Beckett for permission, permission which he granted in a postcard sent to me. As my original ideas about how the work would proceed altered over time, various difficulties arose as to whether I had exceeded my permissions or not, and, if so, what should be done about this. Further complexity was added when the score was published, first , informally, as a Newsletter distributed widely by The Institute of Current World Affairs (the organization that was supporting Karen and me in Japan), and later in the magazine, SOURCE, edited by then U.C. Davis Professor Larry Austin, and his collaborator Stanley Lunetta.
Digital Library Development Program, UC San Diego, La Jolla, 92093-0175 (https://lib.ucsd.edu/digital-library)
Based on: Beckett, Samuel, 1906-1989. Ping
- Reynolds, Roger, 1934
- California Digital Library
- Contributing Institution
- UC San Diego, Library, Digital Library Development Program
Beckett, Samuel, 1906-1989--Correspondence
Reynolds, Roger, 1934---Correspondence
- Under copyright
Constraint(s) on Use: This work is protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.). Use of this work beyond that allowed by "fair use" requires written permission of the UC Regents. Responsibility for obtaining permissions and any use and distribution of this work rests exclusively with the user and not the UC San Diego Library. Inquiries can be made to the UC San Diego Library program having custody of the work.
Use: This work is available from the UC San Diego Library. This digital copy of the work is intended to support research, teaching, and private study.
- Chicago citation style
- Reynolds, Roger, 1934. Ping: Correspondence: Letter from Roger Reynolds to Samuel Beckett; page 2. December 2, 1968. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, https://library.ucsd.edu/dc/object/bb1264334k. (Accessed December 10, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Reynolds, Roger, 1934, (December 2, 1968) Ping: Correspondence: Letter from Roger Reynolds to Samuel Beckett; page 2. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, https://library.ucsd.edu/dc/object/bb1264334k
- MLA citation style
- Reynolds, Roger, 1934. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <https://library.ucsd.edu/dc/object/bb1264334k>.