Lawrence House. Tremont Street
View Full Image
Title from item, from additional material accompanying item, or from information provided by the Boston Public Library. Handwritten note on item verso: Lawrence House, Tremont St., Boston. Colonnade Row, which embraced the stately dwelling homes on Tremont St. from West St. to Mason St. Charles Bulfinch, the eminent Boston architect, designed these. After Gen. Lafayette's visit to Boston in 1825, this section of Tremont St. was called Lafayette Place for several years. In 1821, Amos Lawrence, later one of Boston's eminent merchants (a brother of Abbot Lawrence), brought the easterly house of the Row, at the corner of West. St. for $20,000.00. He resided there until his death in 1852. The estate remained in the possession of the family. See - Forty of Boston's Historic Houses, printed for the State St. Trust Co., p. 24. Image dated: After 1852 Date supplied by cataloger.
|Boston Public Library|
Rights status not evaluated. This work is licensed for use under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial No Derivatives License (CC BY-NC-ND).