• Description
  • As no governor ever occupied the mansion on the Circle, in 1839 the legislature ordered state officers to buy the residence recently finished by Dr. John H. Sanders on the northwest corner of Market and Illinois streets. It was considered the finest house in the town. Several governors lived therein until the fall of 1863, when Gov. Oliver P. Morton abandoned it because of its unhealthiness. It later was the site of the Cyclorama, first housin... more
    As no governor ever occupied the mansion on the Circle, in 1839 the legislature ordered state officers to buy the residence recently finished by Dr. John H. Sanders on the northwest corner of Market and Illinois streets. It was considered the finest house in the town. Several governors lived therein until the fall of 1863, when Gov. Oliver P. Morton abandoned it because of its unhealthiness. It later was the site of the Cyclorama, first housing paintings of the Battle of Atlanta and then various other enterprises until the turn of the century when it became the location of the Traction Terminal for the booming interurban transit system. Drawing by Christian Schrader. less
  • Rights
  • The images in the Allen County Public Library's digital library may be viewed, downloaded, and printed for personal or educational use, but any commercial use is prohibited without permission. Some collections may have other rights retained. Questions may be directed to the Special Collections Division of the Library at Genealogy@ACPL.Info or (260) 421-1225.