Commission chamber Induction Ceremony. Coral Gables City Hall, Florida
- View Full Item
- Created Date
The Coral Gables City Hall was designed by Harold Steward and Phineas Paist, prominent architects of the era. Artistic Director Denman Fink assisted with the design of interior murals. The building was inaugurated in 1928 and was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1974. The façade boasts a semi-circle of two-story decorative columns and is often compared to the Merchants’ Exchange Building in Philadelphia, designed by noted architect William Strickland. The Greek Revival architectural style of the Philadelphia Exchange most likely influenced Paist, as he lived in Philadelphia prior to moving to Miami. Located at 405 Biltmore Way, the town hall looks across Le Jeune Road and down Coral Way, more commonly known as Miracle Mile. This historic district includes Merrick Park, Le Jeune Plaza and a portion of Biltmore Way and Coral Way.
Caption on recto: "Miami Riviera - Three Column Cut, 100 line zinc" Caption on verso: "Left to rigth, 1. George Shew, 2. W. Keith Phillips, 3. Hollis Rinehart, 4. Paul McGarry, 5. Jow W. Whitley, City Commission
Please credit Coral Gables News Bureu, 201 City Hall, Coral Gables, Florida
The City of Coral Gables, Florida after city election of June 13, 1939, Commission Chamber, City Hall, 405 Biltmore Way, Coral Gables, Florida (Induction Ceremony By George N. Shaw, City Clerk) Left to right. City Clerk George N. Shaw
Comissioner W. Keith Phillips, Sr. Commissioner Hollis Rinehart, Jr., Mayor-Commissioner Paul D. McGarry and Commissioner Joe W. Whitley. Commissioner P.J. O Shaughnessy absent"
(Ownership) Coral Gables Historical Resources Department
- Contributing Institution
- City of Coral Gables
- Supporting Institution
- Florida International University Libraries
- Coral Gables (Fla.)--History--Pictorial works
Coral Gables (Fla.). City Commission
- 7 X 10 in.
- Chicago citation style
- Commission chamber Induction Ceremony. Coral Gables City Hall, Florida. 1939-06-20. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://dpanther.fiu.edu/dpService/dpPurlService/purl/FI12092012/00001. (Accessed December 8, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- (1939-06-20) Commission chamber Induction Ceremony. Coral Gables City Hall, Florida. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://dpanther.fiu.edu/dpService/dpPurlService/purl/FI12092012/00001
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://dpanther.fiu.edu/dpService/dpPurlService/purl/FI12092012/00001>.