Big Pine Creek, looking West of bridge
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Inscription by J. D. Black on photograph: "Big Pine Creek 7/15/48 looking West, bridge South Main St."
To meet the need for water of its growing population, the City of Los Angeles began acquiring water rights in the Owens Valley in 1905. The Los Angeles Aqueduct was completed in 1913 to bring Owens Valley water to the city. During the 1920s, the City of Los Angeles began additional large-scale purchases of land in the Owens Valley to increase its supply of water from the valley, resulting in the city's almost complete control of the valley's agricultural land. This led to a decline in the valley's agricultural infrastructure and economy. A resident of Big Pine and leader of resistance against Los Angeles, J. D. Black (1893-1960) used such photographs as these to document the changes in the Owens Valley.
- Black, J. D. (John David), 1893-1960
- California Digital Library
- Contributing Institution
- Loyola Marymount University, Department of Archives and Special Collections, William H. Hannon Library
- Big Pine Creek (Calif.)
Water rights--California--Owens Valley
Water rights--California--Los Angeles
Los Angeles Aqueduct
- Big Pine (Calif.)
- Materials in the Department of Archives and Special Collections may be subject to copyright. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, Loyola Marymount University does not claim ownership of the copyright of any materials in its collections. Please refer to: http://library.lmu.edu/generalinformation/departments/digitallibraryprogram/copyrightandreproductionpolicy/
- Chicago citation style
- Black, J. D. (John David), 1893-1960. Big Pine Creek, looking West of bridge. 1940-1949. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://digitalcollections.lmu.edu/cdm/ref/collection/johndblack/id/1459. (Accessed December 10, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Black, J. D. (John David), 1893-1960, (1940-1949) Big Pine Creek, looking West of bridge. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://digitalcollections.lmu.edu/cdm/ref/collection/johndblack/id/1459
- MLA citation style
- Black, J. D. (John David), 1893-1960. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://digitalcollections.lmu.edu/cdm/ref/collection/johndblack/id/1459>.