Percy Holmes Dorm Room, c. 1904
- View Full Item
- Created Date
A facsimile scan of a glass negative featuring Percy Holmes, class of 1904, in his dormitory room located in the Dormitory Building (now the Administration Building) of the International YMCA Training School (now Springfield College). Above the window, flanking the U.S and Canadian Flags (Holmes was from Nova Scotia) are scenes of Massasoit Lake. The walls are adorned with countless portraits and pictures and there is a 1904 jersey on the bed. The Administration Building was originally constructed as the college’s first dormitory and also housed classrooms, offices, and the school’s first dining facility. Construction began on the dormitory the last week in April of 1895 and the corner stone of the building was laid on Friday, May 10th, 1895 with President Charles H. Barrows officiating. The dedication took place on June 17th, 1896, at which, President Barrows introduced the college’s fourth President, Laurence L. Doggett. Consummating the transfer to the new campus, the completion of the new dormitory in January 1896 was a milestone in Springfield College history. With the erection of the first building, the East gymnasium (1894), and the new dormitory, Springfield College began to lay permanent roots on the land along Lake Massasoit. During World War II, when the campus became a center of Army Training and the Naval Convalescent Hospital, the old dormitory was deemed a fire hazard and its top floors were removed. The resulting two-story building eventually became the Administration Building.
Flaking edges, sink matt coming off; This image is part of a collection entitled "Dormitory Life at the Turn of the Century". Collection contains photographs in various formats includes: 11 black & white prints, 12 prints mounted on board, 8 glass negatives, and 1 glass slide.
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Springfield College Archives and Special Collections
- Springfield College
- Administration Building
International Young Men's Christian Association Training School (Springfield, Mass.)
- Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Percy Holmes Dorm Room, c. 1904. 1900-1904. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/1165. (Accessed July 20, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- (1900-1904) Percy Holmes Dorm Room, c. 1904. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/1165
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/1165>.